When should I call 9-1-1?

9-1-1 should be called for any emergency which is threatening to life or property. This includes crimes in progress, medical emergencies, suspicious persons or activities, and fire emergencies.

Where should smoke detectors be placed in my home?
Residential smoke detectors are early warning devices to alert persons to a potential fire. Smoke detectors should be placed in living areas of the home including each bedroom and in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. Contact the public safety department at 540-483-3091 if you have any further questions.

Where should fire extinguishers be placed in the home?
Having a fire extinguisher in the home is a great idea. If you have an extinguisher, it should be placed where it is easily accessible. The kitchen and garage are good sites for an extinguisher. However, do not place an extinguisher over the stove or buried in storage in the garage. Hang it on the wall between 4 feet and 5 feet from the ground.

Where can I see if my child safety seat is installed properly?
Call the Franklin County Perinatal Education Center at 540-489-1800.

What should I do if an emergency vehicle approaches with lights flashing and siren wailing?
By Virginia Law, you are required to pull to the nearest edge of the roadway and stop, thereby yielding the right-of-way to the emergency vehicle.

What are the burning regulations in Franklin County?
You cannot conduct ANY open burning before 9:00 AM and you cannot add fuel to the fire after 9:00 PM and the fire MUST BE TOTALLY out by midnight. In addition someone must remain with the fire at all times, there must be a water source present. Refer to State Laws and County Code at Franklin County VA Code.

Is there a charge for EMS service?
Yes, Franklin County does operate an EMS revenue recovery program. Your insurance company will be billed and you may receive a bill for the co-pay. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ABILITY TO PAY IMPACT SERVICE. Please contact Franklin County Public Safety at 540-483-3091 for additional information.

Where does the money from the EMS revenue recovery program go?
The money is reinvested into the Public Safety system to continue to improve service to our citizens.

Can I be taken to any hospital I choose?
No, due to limited resources and liability, department SOG’s require that you be transported to the nearest hospital that can handle your emergency.