Picture5 d0d45

The County of Franklin Animal Control Department enforces local animal regulatory and state humane laws. Department Animal Control Officers are authorized to investigate possible animal related law violations and take appropriate enforcement action. Each year Department officers conduct thousands of investigations, ranging from relatively minor code violations to felony animal cruelty cases.

In some cases, our officers may promote voluntary compliance by educating owners about their animal care responsibilities; other situations may warrant administrative action and/or an arrest and criminal prosecution. Additionally, our officers rescue animals that are stray, sick or injured, or endangered or other situations. Abandonment of animals 3.2-6504 - No person shall abandon or dump any animal. Violation of this section is a Class 3 Misdemeanor. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the release of an animal by its owner to a pound, animal shelter or other releasing agency.

What do I do if an animal has showed up at my property? Contact your neighbors to see if they know the ownership of the animal. If no success, contact us and we will come pick up the stray animal.

What do I do if my neighbor's dog is coming onto my property, destroying my property, or constantly barking all hours of the night? There is no leash law in Franklin County, however, the animal owner is responsible to contain their animal on their property to prevent it from running at large. You can contact the Magistrate's Office and acquire a nuisance warrant.

Lost or Found an Animal?

Is your pet lost? Contact our Shelter to see if your pet was picked up running at large. It's very important to have your pet wear a collar with current county rabies tag and identification. This will ensure your pet returns to you if found.  540-483-7440

Who else should I contact? Calling the local Veterinarian clinics to report your animal missing is also a good idea.  They may post a bulletin in their office.  Posting fliers in the area can also be helpful in locating your pet.  Other Contact Information for an animal that has been lost or found are the Franklin County Humane Society at 540-489-3491, Franklin News-Post at 540-483-5113 or Emergency Veterinary Services at 540-563-8575. Other links to check are Pet Finder and Facebook/Franklin County Animal Shelter.

Services We Offer

What is considered an emergency call? A sick or injured animal hit by a vehicle, loose livestock, aggressive animals, animal bite cases.
I have stray/feral cats - what do I do? We do not capture or pick up cats at this time. We do have loaner traps for residents to use in a timely manner. The shelter will accept cats from county residents during operating hours.
Do we handle wildlife? No. If you have questions or encounter a wild animal, use precaution and contact Virginia Game Warden at 540-483-3077.

Want to Make A Donation?

Please send monetary donations to:

Franklin County Public Safety
Animal Control Donation
1488 Franklin Street
Rocky Mount, VA 24151

If you have other items to donate, please bring during normal business hours to the Shelter.

Need a Dog License?

IMPORTANT: State Law requires that all dogs FOUR (4) MONTHS OLD OR OLDER must have a certificate of rabies vaccination. The vaccine shall be licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture for use in that species and shall be administered by a currently licensed veterinarian. The certificate of vaccination must be signed by the veterinarian and include the veterinarian’s license number and expiration date of the vaccination. Dog licenses go on sale in October for the upcoming year and county tags expire December 31st of each year. No application form is required, but you are required to furnish current rabies certificate. (The certificate will be returned to you with the dog tag.)

Dog tags must be fastened to a collar and worn by the dog. If a tag is lost or destroyed, apply for a duplicate tag immediately by presenting the original receipt to the Treasurer’s Office.  If you are purchasing a kennel tag you must present the certifications of vaccination for ALL dogs kept in the kennel. For more information about animal licensing and other ordinances affecting animals, contact the Animal Control Officer at 483-7440.

One Year Male/Female $10.00
Kennel  $15.00
One Year Spayed/Neutered $4.00